Monday, July 27, 2009

IQS Long Beach - Truly a Festival!

This is my favorite image from the weekend (Friday/Saturday)... absolutely luminous color, subtle shift in hue and value, compelling composition.


It looks like dyed silk panels placed side by side in a frame (about 10' x 12') and welcomes guests to the elevators in the Hyatt lobby.
One after another amazing quilts in the special exhibits. I decided to make a list of the things that grab me in a quilt (artful or traditional):
- layered rectangles (Aryana B. Londir, Stacy Hurt)
- exciting fabric patterns together (Mickey Beebe, Ann Horton)
- rich color (intense and complex, usually strong value)
- slanted line/shape (Joanell Connolly, Luella Morgenthaler)
- geometric composition
- coarse textured fabric (Laura Fogg)
- hand stitching (Karin Peirce, Leslie Gabrielse)
- torn edge/raw edge strips
- almost all hand dyeing (Carol Henke, Sandy Gregg)
- folk-style figural images (Pamela Allen, Bodil Gardner)
Staying overnight felt like I had a real vacation and gave me time to chat with friends.
(One-day visits make me feel rushed to see all I can.)
I volunteered in the SAQA booth Saturday AM and enjoyed sharing with visitors about this fine organization devoted to educating and encouraging quilt artists.
And it was good to see my rooster again -- he's traveling in the IQS Town and Country exhibit.
When a piece of work has been gone for awhile, you can look at it with fresh eyes. I like what I did.


No comments: